http://www.watoday.com.au/opinion/cleanliness-really-is-close-to-godliness-20091031-hqn9.html
Experiments have proven that people are fairer and more generous in clean-smellling environments compared to behaviors in plain-scented rooms by comparing them to rooms treated with squirts of Windex. The different experiments made were interesting, testing interest in volunteer work, a trust game seeing how much money one would return, donating money. I agree the cleanliness has an effect of our mentality and how we feel in general so results like this linking cleanliness with positive behaviors does not surprise me. I would be interested in knowing where they got these participants from and if there is an element of chance that those in the clean room that were more giving and charitable were just more charitable kind people to begin with.
It is interesting to contemplate the effects of our olfactory senses on brain functioning. Although research in this article says that subjects who washed their hands before making moral judgments were more forgiving than those who didn't, in my opinion your moral compass is a part of your inner being and I wouldn't expect results to be much different due to cleanliness because I feel like morals are engrained as part of your being based on your social experiences, not a sensory trigger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think this is very funny and very true! I can totally see how people will act differntly in cleaner environments. I agree with your opinion on social eperinces having an affect rather than sensory triggers.
ReplyDeleteMargalicious makes a valuable point, that morals are engrained as part of your being, in many cases anyways. I agree with the study that a clean environment would trigger Generosity. Personally if I go out to a restaurant and everything is in order as far as cleanness and service, I am likely to tip well. Our senses do have a big impact on our judgment.
ReplyDelete